I'll not speculate on the issue of who will be the next successor to Peter as Pope of the Cathilic Church. That is better left to the experts who will wind up making fools of themselves if they think they can read the minds of more than a hundred older men who come from vastly different cultures and backgrounds.
The only common threads for these fellows is all but three were appointed by John Paul the Great and their belief in The Holy Roman Church's role in the world.
Whoever is chosen will be filling the shoes of a very big fisherman, an almost impossible task. For that reason a conscious effort may be made to select a transitional pope who will serve as a buffer for a younger successor in a few years. Cardinal Ratzinger may well be a logical choice because of his age. The cardinal identified as John Paul's closest friend is also one of the oldest participating in this election. Eighty is the cut-off age for cardinals participating in the election.
Then again, they may reach into the heart of Africa, or Latin America, or Spain or even return to Italy for the next pope.
The College of Cardinals is free to chose anyone, even a non-clergyman. There has even been a pope selected who had not yet been baptized into the faith. Kofi Anna anyone? (Yes, I gest.)
We'll have a little wait and probably see quite a bit of black smoke before we witness the puff of white.
The Vatican is not a "no smoking" zone.
Write us at: email@example.com
- ► 2014 (338)
- ► 2013 (380)
- ► 2012 (350)
- ► 2010 (191)
- ► 2009 (295)
- ► 2008 (381)
- ► 2007 (300)
- ► 2006 (409)
- It's Saturday.......680 WRKO when you get up.....s...
- For Friday 4-29-5
- Praise the Lord and vote for me.......
- Dumber than congress...the NCAA
- Early days of computing
- Thanks to WRKO listener for the following.....
- This and That
- Profiles in GOP stupidity
- It's Sunday
- Coming up tomorrow morning on WRKO
- Tomorrow Morning
- Arnie speaks with forked tongue
- Utah gets it right....
- Are all politicians crooks?
- Dominus Vobiscum Benedict XVI
- Doctor Dean
- New Yorkers eat their own.....
- Blowing Smoke: A Black and White Issue
- Run Billy, Run!!!!!
- It's showtime on WRKO Saturday at 5 AM
- Viva John Bolton
- Too much on Arnie's plate. Ditto for Romney
- People in the glass house
- Bad day still good...
- Nice Things
- Dum and Dummer and other things
- Sunday Morning on WRKO
- GOOD MORNING
- The UN.....A Barrell of Warm Spit
- Just a couple of things.....
- An Open Letter to Bill Clinton
- The Minutemen
- I don't want to hurt you, just knock you out....
- Character counts.....
- Dis and Dat for Tuesday.
- Just thinking.......
- Some of this......some of that.....
- The Greatest Gag Job
- Selected quotes of John Paul II
- This is not an April Fools joke or prank.
- ▼ April (41)